Sensei David Doran's karate program provides a safe, disciplined learning environment geared toward maximizing human potential. It is traditional GoJu
style karate. This style blends Go, or hard techniques (strength and body conditioning), with Ju, the soft techniques (redirection and breathing).
This tradition is tempered with modern sport karate appeal, music and safe sparring that challenges every student. Expect an increase in confidence,
self-reliance and respect for others.
Doran has eight years' experience in competitive wrestling and 25 years of training in karate and Japanese weaponry: Bo, Nunchaku, Sais, Tonfa and Samurai sword. He is a third-degree black belt in GoJu karate and trained for 10 years under Tenth Degree Grand Master Joseph Artesi.
Dates and Times:
Ages 4-6 Beginner: Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30-6 p.m.
Ages 4-6 Advanced*: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-6 p.m.
Ages 7-12 Beginner (white belt): Mondays and Wednesdays from 6-7 p.m.
Ages 7-12 Intermediate (yellow belt)*: Mondays and Wednesdays from 7-8 p.m.
Ages 7-12 Advanced (green belt and up)*: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-7 p.m.
*Intermediate and advanced students must have tested out of the lower-level class in order to enroll.
- Age Group(s): Two age groups: Ages 4-6 and Ages 7-12
- Date(s): See above for details. A new session of classes begins each month.
- Time(s): See above for details.
- Location(s): Wicomico Youth & Civic Center, in the new karate room on second floor on Flanders Rooms side
- Program Fee(s): Ages 4-6: $40/month; Ages 7-12: $55/month. The first uniform is included; additional uniforms can be purchased for $10 each.
- Late Fee: A late fee of $10 will be in effect once the month's classes begin. Registration closes after the first week of class.
- Contact: Registration questions: Allen Swiger, 410-548-4900 x108 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Class questions: Sensei David Doran, 443-614-0342 or email@example.com
Current Programs & News
Land Preservation, Parks and Recreation Plan
The update of Wicomico County's Land Preservation, Parks and Recreation Plan has been locally adopted. Read more to view the plan. - Read More
Youth & Adult Chess Tournaments
Our annual Chess Tournaments will return this February. The Youth Tournament is Friday, Feb. 22, and the Adult Tournament will follow on Saturday, Feb. 23. - Read More
Youth Drop-In Basketball
Middle and high school students can drop in at Salisbury Middle School to play basketball for free on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. - Read More